What do you mean you’ve never had a BBQ’d donut!!
The thing is, besides my fantastic children, one of the best things my ex-husband ever brought into my life was BBQ’d DONUTS! Apparently, they were a summer treat where he grew up cottaging in the South Shore…maybe it’s a Ponhook Lake thing…I’m sure some of my readers could let us know where they originate but they are a definite MUST for any Summer gathering around the BBQ!
So…before Summer officially ends and we all start packing up our patio furniture for another year…you HAVE to try these.
NO, I DON’T PUT BBQ SAUCE ON THEM! That, my friends, would be disgusting.
Here’s what you do…
- Purchase a dozen sugar donuts (you weren’t looking for an ACTUAL donut recipe were you?) Anyway, the sugary sugar ones…the kind you pick up at a gas station in that plastic container or in a bread bag and they’re rather sticky. (You can also get them at the supermarket…once we accidentally bought Cinnamon ones rather than Sugar and they were SOOO good!)
- Turn the BBQ on HIGH and burn off all the crud. No one wants last week’s BBQ chicken bits in their dessert!
- Wipe off the grill with the grill brush really well.
- Pop a dozen donuts on the grill while everyone looks at you like you’re nuts because you’re BARBECUING DONUTS!
- Turn the burners on LOW heat.
- Wait a few minutes until the sugar caramelizes on the donut.
- Flip the donuts…and YES, you’ll have grill marks which are AWESOME!
- Wait a few minutes for the other side to caramelize/melt/heat up/cook.
- Place in a bowl and add ice cream.
The donuts are slightly crispy on the outside and sweet and awesome and doughy on the inside. They really are FANTASTIC!
A while back, while cottaging in Hubbards, we loaded up the grill with these treats and they were a big hit! In fact, my friend’s son seemed half annoyed that he’s known me for a decade and I’d waited this long before introducing him to this delicious dessert!
Had I thought about it, I should have taken a photo of the finished product with the grill marks and the ice cream on top…and maybe a video of all of the quiet eating…the ummmms and aaaahhhhs and comments of how good they were…BUT, I was too busy eating.
Which is why I’m probably not a food blogger!
Enjoy…and you’re welcome!