Whether I’m home alone, with a couple of friends or throwing a party…my very favourite thing to eat and serve is a fabulous Charcuterie Board. (Mainly because it’s as fun to say char·cu·te·rie as it is to dive in and enjoy the various delights on the tray!)
In Ottawa a few weeks ago, myself, The Tall Blonde and her boyfriend Eli visited many pubs and at each, ordered a Charcuterie Board with a glass or two of wine. We admired each board for its benefits: for example; whether or not there was fruit, jams or jellies…the proportion of meat and cheese and our favourites of each…and what kind of crackers were served. Besides all of that, presentation was an ABSOLUTE MUST! Some on plates, some on beautiful boards…some with items piled high and others lined up in neat little rows. All was up for discussion and enjoyed IMMENSELY!
I’m a fan of making them and am always happy to head to the deli department at the Atlantic Superstore to see what’s available…making sure to try a few new things each time along with a few of my favourite items.
Basically…assembling a great charcuterie board is pretty simple.
Assembling a Charcuterie Board
- Gather a variety of meats and cheeses…in various mild, medium and bold flavours. Place them on a beautiful wooden board (or a fabulous plate) mixing up meats and cheeses next to one another (some people roll the meats or pile them on top of one another…just make it look super appetizing.)
- Wherever there’s space, add in crackers. Again, add a few different kinds and make sure they’re large enough for layering and not flaky enough that they’ll break when you put cheese and meat on them!
- In the leftover spots, add in some fresh fruit like berries or grapes.
- Include a small bowl of olives or pickles.
- Add one or two jams, jellies or mustards to the tray to add a little flavour to the entire board.
And there you have it…the perfect board!
Essentially, you can’t go wrong. Meat, cheese, crackers and fruit all arranged in neat little rows or piled high on the plate…each plate will look appetizing and absolutely perfect!
Better yet…it will taste DELICIOUS!
And here’s the thing…while I make and order Charcuterie Boards on a regular basis, I never really get tired of them. There’s always a new cheese to try or preserve to mix things up…and it’s new and exciting every time I sit down with one in front of me. BUT, President’s Choice has me thinking of a BRAND NEW WAY to put a Twist on Tradition and this season, they’re introducing the Seacuterie Board!
Here’s their recipe.
Brimming with a seafood lovers’ array of fish and seafood, this awe-inspiring platter makes an exceptional centrepiece at cocktail parties and get-togethers. It serves 20, is ready in ten minutes and is super easy to prepare. (Recipe source: pc.ca)
- 1 pkg (569 g) PC® Gigantico Black Tiger Shrimp With Mild Cocktail Sauce, thawed
- 1 pkg (112g) PC® Tuna Tataki, thawed
- 1 pkg (150g) PC® Sustainably Sourced Smoked Wild Sockeye Salmon, thawed
- 1 pkg (150 g) PC® Maple & Rye Cold Smoked Salmon, thawed
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (50 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) drained capers
- 1 pkg (120 g) PC® Olive Oil & Rosemary Focaccia Crackers
- 1 pkg (142 g) PC® Organics Sea Salt Multigrain Flatbread Crackers
- 1 pkg (142 g) PC® Everything Flavour Baked Naan Crackers
- Arrange shrimp with accompanying cocktail sauce, tuna with accompanying Tataki sauce, and both types of salmon on large serving platter or board.
- Place lemon slices on board; scatter onion and capers over smoked salmon and lemon.
- Pile crackers and flatbread on platter just before serving.
If you’re looking to step things up even a notch further, I suggest you add the PC Maple Candied Salmon to the board with this fantastic dip!
Candied Smoked Salmon Dip
With just a few exceptional ingredients stirred together, including hot smoked salmon flavoured with maple, this crowd-pleasing appetizer is ready at a moment’s notice to spread, dip and devour with your favourite crackers and flatbread. It serves 10, is ready in 10 minutes and is also, easy to prepare. (Recipe source: pc.ca)
- 1 tub (250 g) PC® Spreadable Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Product
- 1 pkg (150 g) PC® Hot Smoked Maple Flavour Candied Salmon Candied Smoked Atlantic Salmon Strips, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp (20 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Stir together cream cheese, all but 2 tbsp of the candied salmon, the shallot, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper in bowl until combined.
- Transfer to serving bowl; top with reserved candied salmon. Serve with crackers.
The holidays are coming! Whether you’re sticking to tradition or adding a bit of a twist, I suggest you get a bit creative and show up at the next party with an AWESOME board (and if you’re really thinking, the beautiful board or platter makes a perfect hostess gift!)
#PCInsidersCollection Holiday Twitter Party
Please join me on November 30th for a wonderful Holiday Twitter Party sponsored by President’s Choice. Join in the conversation as we chat about various traditions (and twists on traditions), showcase the fabulous #PCInsidersCollection and share some wonderful recipes and holiday cheer…with friends. Oh…and we’re giving away $1,000 in Gift Cards!