A few weeks ago, I was approached by Oxford Learning about working with them on a marketing campaign.
It was a no-brainer for me.
You see…I owe a lot to that place.
It was the end of grade two and Spiderman just wasn’t “getting” it. His teachers adored him. Loved his smile and gentle ways but academically…it wasn’t working. He couldn’t read, couldn’t rhyme, had trouble with patterns and couldn’t…for the life of him…understand “opposites.”
For Spiderman, the opposite of “up” was “not up.” The opposite of “big”…”not big.”
Oxford Learning saved the day! A year of tutoring had him caught up with his peers…giving him the tools he needed for his particular style of learning. In no time, his confidence grew and I watched him change before my eyes. He excelled in the classroom.
He no longer struggles.
When Oxford’s Head Office approached me about a campaign…at the time, not realizing my connection…I had no problem getting on board. I believe in their organization and am more than happy to put my voice behind it!
Starting this month, Oxford Learning and Curtains are Open have teamed together. From time to time, I’ll post an update on the Curtains are Open Facebook and Twitter feeds asking YOU about homework…seeking your advice on our kids and education…quite possibly, asking a math question or two! On Facebook, I’ll link the status update back to Oxford’s Facebook page and on Twitter, I’ll reference @OxfordLearning and #OxfordKnows in the tweet.
Please join me in welcoming Oxford Learning to Curtains are Open! I’m looking forward to being more engaged with what’s in my children’s backpacks and hearing your various views on homework and education…maybe even learning a thing or two in the process!
To kick off the campaign…the Bedford, Halifax and Hammonds Plains offices of Oxford Learning are offering a giveaway to the local readers of Curtains are Open.
The winner will be able to pick from one of the prize packs below:
- One month of Little Readers Preschool Program (Value $315)
- One week of Summer Camp for ages 5-12 (Value $250)
- One Study Skills or Get Organized Boot Camp for students in Grades 7-12 (Value $200)
- One Dynamic Diagnostic Assessment (Value $325)
- Visit the Oxford Learning Centre website. Spend a moment poking around while learning about what Oxford offers. (While you’re at it, you may want to do a search for your local office and follow them on Facebook or Twitter!)
- Come back to Curtains are Open and make a comment on this post about something you found interesting from Oxford’s website. Make sure to add your email address and name so I know how to contact you.
- If you haven’t already done so, “Like” the Curtains are Open’s Facebook page or Follow me on Twitter so you can see my updates and join in on the conversation (BTW…Liking or Following isn’t a requirement for winning the prize!)
- Share this post with your friends to get an extra ballot! (Just add another comment letting me know you shared it via Facebook, Twitter, Email or other means and I’ll put your name in the draw a second time!)
- The giveaway will be open from now until Wednesday, March 20th, 2013 at ten a.m (my time!)
- Winner will be chosen using random.org and notified by email.
- Only comments on this post are eligible to win. Comments on other posts, Facebook or Twitter, while appreciated, are not considered.
- Only one comment per reader is eligible for entry into the contest PLUS, a second entry if you “Share” the blog post (you can share by clicking on the “share” options on the bottom of the post, by sharing the link on the “Curtains” Facebook page, or re-tweeting the tweet on Twitter.)
- The winner will choose one prize from the packages listed above.
- This is a “local” giveaway meaning that the prize package must be applied at either the Bedford, Halifax or Hammonds Plains locations of Oxford Learning.